We live in a world of chemicals, some naturally occurring and some manufactured, and many such as antibiotics, necessary for our well-being. It is also a world of stress and turmoil from time to time, and in that state we often look to some of those chemicals to provide a shortcut to feeling better. In fact, many of the chemicals “work” for at least a short time we feel better, more alive, and happier.
So what is the problem? The problem is real and has many levels:
– All drugs have potentially undesirable and dangerous side effects.
– All drugs can be abused, overused, used destructively.
– All mind-altering chemicals can cause dependence (psychological or physical), and many can lead to serious addictive disorders.
– Chemicals never solved anyone’s problems.
– Even if chemicals work for a while, the effects are always short-lived and can become a crutch. Even if they make us feel better, they fool us into believing the we cannot do without them, and worse, that we cannot solve our problems on our own CBD.
Some say that marijuana is dangerous and addictive, others not. Some say it is as addictive as cocaine. Unfortunately all are wrong. Marijuana, a potentially destructive substance, is not addictive. Cocaine, an extremely destructive substance, is definitely addictive. Has this confused you? Let me try to clarify.
An addictive substance is one that causes the cells of the body to develop an actual physiological need for the drug, which must be taken in increasing doses to produce the same physical and emotional effect, and, finally, that causes a severe and potentially dangerous bodily reaction when it is abruptly stopped in an addicted individual (abstinence syndrome). Substances that do not meet all these criteria are not considered addictive.
However they can still be dangerous. Marijuana causes some physical changes and can develop a kind of psychological dependency in certain vulnerable and needy individuals. These people become apathetic and withdrawn, and their schoolwork and relationships can suffer. Cocaine is one of the most destructive substances around and is very expensive. It induces an extraordinary craving and dependence in many susceptible users. It creates the illusion of well-being and power while providing just the opposite.